Saturday 21 April 2012

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?

The social groups represented in my magazine are explored in my research, which highlights the social groups such as the “mods and rockers” in the past. The development of the punk genre in the 1970’s created a rebellious social culture for rockers, which still continues today. However, the magazine does not limit itself to a niche group, as rock music is becoming ever increasingly popular and therefore I have concluded the my magazine aims at 16-25 years old, such as high school education and college students, young workers & university students. I feel that the magazine is not childish as some rock magazines and the colour scheme used makes it seem a professional standard, along with the images used which appear to make the magazine less childish, and the audience may appeal to the model used who is around the same age of the target audience and therefore the audience can relate to the imagery, making it more appealing to them. The editing used, such as the dark eyebrows along with the dark makeup worn by the model applies to the rock genre social groups as well as the use of guitar on the imagery of the contents page, making the magazine more interesting to instrument fans, especially the traditional rock instruments, the drums & guitar. However, some magazines such as “Kerrang!” is more extreme with its colours whereas my magazine can be more appealing to people interested in different genres of music due to its more passive colour scheme of blue, black and white and the less aggressive use of imagery which is quite subtle in expressing that the magazine belongs in the rock genre.


I have also interviewed my brother, asking him what he thinks about the social groups that my magazine represents. My brother is studying a degree in media and therefore his views are helpful.



No comments:

Post a Comment